Route of Silesian Ceres

Opole – Winów - Górki – Domecko – Nowa Kuźnia – Prószków – Przysiecz

The route can be divided into two stages with an accommodation for the night in a School Complex in Prószków (tel./fax 77 4648070, 77 4648084, 77 4515910).

Nowa Kuźnia – the name is a remainder of local ironworks industry. One of the most beautiful water reservations in Poland is located here: „Staw Nowokuźnicki” /Nowa Kuźnia Pond/. It was created in 1957 in order to protect the stand of a water chestnut (species which is on a European list of endangered plants)


Prószków: first mentioned in 1311. Obtained civic rights in 1560, lost them in 1809 and gained them back in 2004. The most significant historical monument of Prószków is its palace, built in 1563 by Jerzy Krzysztof Prószkowski. The castle burned down during Thirty Years’ War, then it was rebuilt and decorated by Italian architect Seregno.
On one of the walls there are sgraffita depicting battle scenes, conversation and mythological scenes. The castle is surrounded by a park of over 1 ha area. The only specimen in Poland of Fringe Tree grows here. Currently the palace is administered by a Centre of Social Help for the Chronically and Somatically Ill. 


Arboretum (1866-67). Currently the park covers the area of about 15 ha. There are specimen of trees from China, Manchuria, Japan and Europe, a collection of oaks (about 46 species), a honey locust, a butter-nut, magnolias, plane trees, beeches. The attraction of the park is a fossil tree which is approximately 2 million years old. The park is a remainder after the Royal Agricultural Academy, which was established by the Prussian government in 1847. It was the first academy of this kind in Europe. The academy was disbanded in 1881 and the Royal Pomological Institute was established, where horticulturalists and gardeners could get education. The institute dealt with experimental fruit-growing. 


The museum with geological library of the Academy is worth seeing place. (tel: 77 464 80 70).


Prószków – a bricked baroque St. George Church built in 1678. The present day church was built in baroque style in 1687, with stucco and pictorial ornaments dating back to the 17th century as well as cartouches featuring coats of arms of the aristocratic family of Prószkowscy.

Krombholtz Brewery (contemporary Zamkowa Street) founded in 1879 by Julius Krombholtz; the brewery produced circa 800 hectolitres of beer a month, part of the production was exported to USA.

Market square: baroque style mansions (17th/18th century), annexe building – remains of faience and stoneware works. Proszków faience works, also called the factory of “not genuine porcelain” was founded by the count Leopold von Proskau in 1763, inspired by the Prussian prince – Frederic The Great. Since 1771, with the ban on import of foreign ceramics to Silesia, Prószków faience works has noted its best years in business. Faience works ceased its production in 1853, when the market became flooded with mass production of porcelain. Prószków style was characterised by roses and peacocks. Around Prószków there are nature reserves of Jaśkowice, Jeleni Dwór and Przysiecz. In the village of Przysiecz one can find one of the most beautiful ponds in the Opole Region and a picturesque church of Mother of God.